Monday, November 30, 2009

Life Change-Autos


From notes dated October 8th:

So the car had to go, the Impala SS, that great fast machine of performance (320hp). Divorce called it out, but I looked at the greatness that could be in my new Honda Civic Hybrid (check out this site for more info: http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hybrid/). I chose it because of the idea of economics. At the time, a $20 bill got me the 400 miles to my daughter every other weekend, and I still had some to spare. Way beyond the Impala. The same for the trip back. I also read that it can burn lesser octane fuel and ethanol up to 10%. I get easily 45 miles to the gallon on the highway trips average, and all kinds of cool stuff like shut off at stops, integrated computer for mp3 play and batteries that last at LEAST 8 years. 8 of them...

Nice. And I found out that typically the batteries last the life of the car, and unlike old school batteries (including NiCad), these hybrids are using nickel metal hydride (NiMH) which are completely recyclable, to the point that typically one is offered $200 to return for just that reason. They are non-toxic and recharge better than the old NiCads.

What a great way to accidently be Green! What was great is that I can explain to my daughter, Micah, that daddy's car is magic for her (besides the fact that I'm keeping this thing forever, and it will be her classic car). And for those who snub the looks of the Hybrids, maybe not as cool as the old classics or the foreign muscles...the future of Civics is in the pic above. Not to shabby.


















No comments:

Post a Comment