Friday, November 20, 2009

Welcome

Welcome to one man's decent into yet another madness. Why didn't anybody mention this whole ruining the world stuff prior to my childhood full of battery tossing, gas guzzling Camaros, tossing out my glass Mt. Dew bottles and building that coal plant in my backyard. Now look at the mess! Well, what can I do? I mean yes, we got the whole "recycle" thing and the idea of getting rid of my sweet Impala SS to ride around in my Honda Hybrid and ok, maybe I can be actually "conscious" of what I am "wasting" when it comes to water and "valuable" resources-you know, the kind that sustain life for future generations. Truth of the matter is, we all can DO- as well as study it, discuss it, and fear it. Well, this is a journal, a study, and a manifestation of the FEAR. What if I took an assigned project seriously as a life challenge? It has occurred in other aspects of my university life, and at 31 it sure the hell can't hurt to do something for the future generations, before my physical presence to make an impact is felt no more. In this blog I will sort through a lifetime of apathy on the subject to do the right thing, and change my life one aspect at a time, as well as give a view of how a regular guy can impact our precious environment...

OR DIE TRYING!!!! (Ominous music playing in background)

All humor aside, to see first hand the destruction humanity has caused created the need for change personally. Legislation has been pushed through on both the global and most local levels to counter the impact of our irresponsible use of Mother Earth. But what can one do to create change? I pondered this when assigned a project for an Environmental Geography course at my university. Ever since returning to school after a brief 12 year hiatus, my life has evolved in so many ways-some good and others bad-yet, my personal consumption and the actual view on environmental needs has been taken for granted. It has become trendy to wear environmentalists apparel, "go green" and look the part. Perhaps even look at small tweaks one can make in the day to day. I had never had the sense to care enough. Now is the time!

So welcome,as I humbly submit a layman's study into the factors of environmental damage, the attempts at change I promote at work and in my neighborhood, as well as my personal life changes in attitude. Within you will also get stats, scenarios, links and information that I hope will give you a sense of the dire need for us all to get on board and save our planet...literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment