Saturday, December 5, 2009

Home-Recycling


Inthe middle of this killer move. I realized the amount of trash I toss, especially for being for me only. I would cycle through about three to four garbage bags in a 5 day span. When I went through the ideas of this course project and a life change, I realized I knew very little about what could be recycled andnot, whether I intended to take it to a site or had pick up available. During the summer project in my earlier blog, I was made aware of different plastic codes, something I was OBLIVIOUS to. They are below, and I posted them to the fridge to be aware. The code is onteh product itself, withthe arrows around it in the shape of a traingle. It is located on all recyclable plastics, and then can be corresponded to the site you are taking it to, as some do not take heavier or lighter grades, per there regulations typically based on resin content:



  • 1, PET: Plastic soft drink, water, sports drink, beer, mouthwash, catsup and salad dressing bottles. Peanut butter, pickle, jelly and jam jars. Ovenable film and ovenable prepared food trays.

  • 2, HDPE: Milk, water, juice, cosmetic, shampoo, dish and laundry detergent bottles; yogurt and margarine tubs; cereal box liners; grocery, trash and retail bags.

  • 3, V (Vinyl and PVC): Clear food and non-food packaging, medical tubing, wire and cable insulation, film and sheet, construction products such as pipes, fittings, siding, floor tiles, carpet backing and window frames.

  • 4, LDPE: Dry cleaning, bread and frozen food bags, squeezable bottles, e.g. honey, mustard.

  • 5, PP: Catsup bottles, yogurt containers and margarine tubs, medicine bottles.

  • 6, PS: Compact disc jackets, food service applications, grocery store meat trays, egg cartons, aspirin bottles, cups, plates, cutlery.

  • 7, other: Three and five gallon reusable water bottles, some citrus juice and catsup bottles. It should be noted that 7 is a filler many times for lumber replacements.

Maybe this will help another layman environmentalist. It should be noted I have failed a few times and tossed some plastics due to some areas in the Milwaukee Metro that do not accept higher than a certain number. When I take the plastics to Quincy with me however, I have had good luck in just poutting them in there bins.

No comments:

Post a Comment