Saturday, December 5, 2009

Life Change-Autos 2: The Oil Change

So Honda can't make a car you don't have to maintain? What the hell. SO its time that I did the maintenance on teh beast, as the first time the dealer did it. I decided to use the opportunity to go all Green, I guess, and do it myself to put in the Blog. First off, the oil changes are not needed every 3,000 like older models. This time the computer analyzed it at about 6, 300 meaning we save on the removal of old oil, filters and etc, in landfills and such. This time I also used the large bottle oil offered by most companies to save on packaging. Getting 5 quarts of 0w-20 would have cost around $4.00 a quart regular, more for synthetic. This cost $14, and was one large bottle containing the near 6 quarts needed. Available at most stores.

I also peeled off the bread for a reusable air filter. Considering I am used to replacing an air filter for MAYBE $12 bucks, it hurt at first to shed the $38 for a reusable. But the quality is extraordinary and the results are wonderful: better air flow allowing the engine to run cleaner and smoother, making even less emission issues and the package and paper of the filter does not clog landfills (even though they are becoming more recyclable). The best part of this ismple change is that I was able to take the oil to the mechanic I usually use, and he would heat with it on a small heater for the garage. This may be a ding on the air quality, not sure, but the idea of getting rid of it properly was nice. He is a certified agent of properly getting rid of that sludge.

FYI- the Honda Civic has a seperate air filter fo r the cabin, to filter pollen and other urban irritants from teh passengers and driver. Very cool, adn only to be changed about every 15, 000 miles, if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment